Phuket is full of things to do. You came here for the best hiking in Phuket, Thailand. But, you can’t overlook the wealth of opportunities.
Big Buddha, Phuket City, Karon Viewpoint, Kata Beach, and much more.
Not even mentioning the limestone islets of Phang Nga Bay!
But, you came here for hiking trails, and I’m going to give you one of the best trails for hiking in Thailand and Phuket for nature lovers.
On this hike, you’ll get jungle/rainforest, tons of nature, and a fantastic view at the end.
So let’s dive into the hike.
Manik Mining Trail Details
This is a beautiful trail that winds its way up above Manik Dam.
If you’re unfamiliar with this dam, it’s located in the center of the island, near the Cherng Talay/Bang Tao area.
The dam itself is a great area to exercise if you’re looking to get a workout in or if you’re looking to enjoy some fresh air.
You’ll find many locals running and walking around the dam, especially in the morning. Thai people love their exercise!
However, the true gems lie hidden in the hills above Manik Dam.
And you can access these easily by veering off the Sawatdirak road that wraps around the dam.
The car park in front of the reservoir is a great place to start your run or hike as there is a large amount of parking available.
Once you are here, it’s a short walk to the start of the trail.
You can make this an easy hike or a trail run if you’re looking for more of a challenge. It’s great for hikers/runners of all levels.
The route to follow to start the trail. It begins at the reservoir car park.
You’ll follow the trail all the way to the top. and it’s pretty difficult to go off-trail.
Then, it’s back down. The downhill trail varies from steep to flat, so it’ll give you some breaks from the constant down.
- Distance: ~12 kilometers (7.5 miles) — This is out-and-back
- Elevation : ~350 meters (1,150 feet) of gain
- Time: 1.5 – 3 hours — This all depends if you are running or hiking
- GPX file
You can find more about the trail in the video below. I recorded most of the trail on one of my runs for your viewing pleasure.
Is it safe to hike in Phuket?
Yes, it’s very safe to hike in Phuket. Most times the only people you see are other hikers and rubber tree farmers.
The biggest danger comes from snakes, so you should still take precautions to avoid them and how to handle situations with them.
Keep an eye out for other Thailand posts
I lived in Thailand for a few years, and I had plenty of time to check out its trails while I lived there.
But, I also explored other areas.
So keep an eye out for posts about Samet Nangshe viewpoint, Black Rock viewpoint, among others, in the future about the best mountain hiking in Phuket (if you can call it mountain hiking).
For now, check out my posts about Khao Sok National Park (and its beautiful waterfall). Or, you can check some of the best things to do in Phuket — like Phuket Town, Khao Phra Thaeo National Park, Kathu Waterfall, Bang Pae Waterfall, and much more.
This little island in the south west of Thailand isn’t short of things to do!
- Hate when you visit somewhere new and can’t find a trail? Use my post How Do I Find Running Trails Near Me?: The Best Guide to Find New Trails to find trails wherever you go.
- Looking for a first pair of trail shoes? Or do you need a new pair? Here is The Ultimate Guide to the Best Trail Running Shoes. I break down the latest shoes, and provide reviews so you can make the best decision based on what you’re looking for in a trail shoe.
- Uphill running is a struggle for almost everyone. However, some enjoy it more than others. There are always corrections we can make to become better uphill runners, so I’ve compiled the top tips into a post, Ultimate Guide to Uphill Running: Making Molehills out of Mountains.
- Want to become a master on the downhills? Tired of seeing the competition fly past you on descents? Then be sure to check out my post, How to Descend Like a Pro: Tips for Mastering Downhill Running. Get all the tips and tricks to improve your form and become a downhill beast in no time.
- New to The Travel Runner and want to get an idea of what the site is all about? Then look no further than The Best of The Travel Runner in 2021 for quick dose.