Have I mentioned that Phuket is full of trails? Yes? A couple of times? Well, great. Because I’m back with another trail to get you out, and away from the tourist centers, and into the true beauty of the island. This time, it’s the Layan Trail.
So, this week, I’m bringing you another route that will help you see a different side of the island. This time, we’re heading into the Layan area, which is close to Laguna right near Bang Tao beach/Layan beach.
Layan Trail Details
This trail is going to start at the Layan police station. If you’re unfamiliar with it, it’s right at the bottom of the hill if you’re heading north toward Banana Beach and Nai Thon out of the Layan area. If you’re still unfamiliar with it, then it’s near Dream Beach Club and Layan beach.
You usually won’t see many people on this route. If you do, it’s most likely to be one of the farmers working in the area. Other than that, it’s just you and some occasional wildlife—cows, dogs, and the occasional pig.
This route has a lot of scenic changes. One moment you’ll be making your way down a wide dirt path, the trees lining the path like an aircraft marshal. Next, you’re on a piece of singletrack, thick jungle leaves smacking you in the face, and the sun coming through the leaves like laser beams.
Naturally, you have to assume the role of James Bond here and dodge every single one.
It’s a shorter route, but well worth the time invested. Enjoy yourself, and get out there.
- Distance: ~7 kilometers (4 miles)
- Elevation: ~130 meters (420 feet)
- Time: 1 – 2.5 hours
- GPX file
I hope this helps you find and explore more of Phuket while you’re living or staying there. Let me know in the comments how I can better help you find/navigate the trail. And, of course, you can find out more about the trail below.
- Hate when you visit somewhere new and can’t find a trail? Use my post How Do I Find Running Trails Near Me?: The Best Guide to Find New Trails to find trails wherever you go.
- Looking for a first pair of trail shoes? Or do you need a new pair? Here is The Ultimate Guide to the Best Trail Running Shoes. I break down the latest shoes, and provide reviews so you can make the best decision based on what you’re looking for in a trail shoe.
- Uphill running is a struggle for almost everyone. However, some enjoy it more than others. There are always corrections we can make to become better uphill runners, so I’ve compiled the top tips into a post, Ultimate Guide to Uphill Running: Making Molehills out of Mountains.
- Want to become a master on the downhills? Tired of seeing the competition fly past you on descents? Then be sure to check out my post, How to Descend Like a Pro: Tips for Mastering Downhill Running. Get all the tips and tricks to improve your form and become a downhill beast in no time.
- New to The Travel Runner and want to get an idea of what the site is all about? Then look no further than The Best of The Travel Runner in 2021 for quick dose.