Traveling to Corfu soon? Then going from Corfu to Albania should top your list of things to do.
Corfu and Albania are next-door neighbors, and visiting Albania while you’re on Corfu is simple. This post will show you how to take a ferry from Greece to Albania via the Corfu-Saranda ferry.
But first, let’s dive into some common questions.
Common questions about Corfu
1. Is Corfu part of Albania?
No, Corfu is a Greek island. Despite having changed hands a few times, Corfu is historically Greek and has never been ruled by Albania.
2. Can you see Albania from Corfu?
Yes, and very easily! On the northeastern tip of Corfu — near Kassiopi and Kalami — you can easily see the areas of Ksamil, Albania, and the Saranda Port in Albania.
3. Is the ferry from Corfu to Saranda running?
Yes, the ferry from Corfu to Saranda is fully operational. Depending on the season, there can be as many as 13 ferries from Corfu to Saranda daily.
There are just as many going from Saranda to the island of Corfu. Refer to the Saranda to Corfu ferry timetable for official times.
4. When is the high season on Corfu?
Summer. July-September. With its beautiful beaches and gorgeous waters off its coast, Corfu is best visited when it’s hot.
With temperatures over 30° C (86° F), it’s the perfect place to hop into the water for a swim or go snorkeling and check out the sea life.
5. Can you do a day trip from Corfu to Albania?
Yes, and it’s pretty easy to do. You can go from Corfu to Albania by ferry, which only takes around 30 minutes.
How to take the ferries from Corfu
Where to find the Port of Corfu
If you’re already on Corfu, you can find the Port of Corfu in the center of the island, on the eastern side.
If you arrive by plane, the port is just north of the airport.
Corfu to Albania
The Corfu ferry to Saranda is the easiest way to get from Corfu to Albania, especially if you’re trying to reach Saranda or Ksamil.
There is no ferry from Ksamil to Corfu.
Luckily, finding a ferry to take isn’t hard. There are multiple ferry companies, and each have frequent ferry schedules. You can find a ferry almost every hour through one of the companies.
Ferries leave early in the morning, around 8:30 am, and typically finish in the evening around 7-8 pm.
How long does the trip between Corfu and Saranda take?
You can buy two types of tickets depending on travel times and the ferry boat type. A high-speed boat takes 30 minutes, or a slower car ferry takes around 90 minutes.
The price difference isn’t much (a few dollars), so getting there faster is often worthwhile.
You can buy your ticket online using the three companies’ websites. Prices are around the same price, between $20-$25. And, you can book up to 24 hours in advance.
Plus, you get a discount for booking online!
So next-day decisions are welcome.
Corfu to other Greek islands
You’re in luck if you want to head to another Greek or Ionian island. There are multiple options available.
A few example ferries are to the ports of Igoumenitsa, Mathraki, and Ereikoussa.
Depending on how far you want to go, you may have to take a ferry connection between destinations.
Corfu to Italy
There’s also the option to go from Corfu, Greece, to travel to other parts of Europe, like Italy.
Check Anek Superfast for available options. But they offer routes between Corfu and Ancona, Bari, Venice, and more cities in Italy.
Want to go from Albania to Corfu? You’re in luck
Good news if you’re already in Albania.
The same ferry companies that run between Corfu and Sarandë go the opposite way! Pretty great idea, eh?
But, you may be wondering how to get to Saranda, Albania.
Luckily, Albania is easily navigated.
Tirana to Saranda by car, taxi, or bus
If you’re in Tirana, you can rent a car, drive west on SH2 toward Durrës, then turn onto SH4. This will take you most of the way toward Vlorë, where you can choose the scenic route via SH8 or the less scenic route via E853.
Frequent buses leave from Tirana, so you could also catch a bus and let someone else do the driving.
Korcë to Saranda by car
If you’re in Korcë, you can head south on SH75 and keep following it until you turn onto E853 to take you to Saranda.
Vlorë to Saranda by car or shuttle
If you’re in Vlorë, you can grab a bus to Saranda, which takes around 2.5 hours. Otherwise, you can rent a car and drive the distance via SH8.
There you have it. Corfu to Albania (or the reverse!) made easy.
Hopefully, this information helps you if you’re visiting Corfu soon. If you’re planning a trip to Albania, check out my post about the beautiful Balkan country. As well, be sure to visit Theth National Park if you’re in the area.
Otherwise, let me know if you have any questions in the comments, or shoot me an email!
- Looking to travel more this year? Well my post, Ways to save to travel more in 2021 and beyond, can help you save up more money so you can achieve that goal.
- Looking for a quiet getaway in Thailand? Khao Sok National Park is an excellent option for you! Be sure to read about it’s lush forests and beautiful lake in my post, Khao Sok National Park: The Hidden Gem of Southern Thailand.
- Have trouble packing? Want to travel lighter? Then check out my post, What I pack when I travel: A packing list for world travel. I’ll explain how you can slim down your packing so you can take less and enjoy your trip more.
- Do you enjoy reading? Then you may like my post, My Favorite Books from 2021. I give my favorite books from 2021 and explain why I enjoy them so much. I’d love to hear your recommendations as well.
- New to The Travel Runner and want to get an idea of what the site is all about? Then look no further than The Best of The Travel Runner in 2021 for a quick dose.